Tuesday 11 August 2015

One last edit

I have met so many authors that I have developed brain crushes on over the weekend and have been inspired beyond measure. John Marsden told us that he has learnt not to edit while he's writing because then he never gets anywhere, and I realised that this was also my own problem. Not just in my writing, but in my life. I mentioned in 'Day one at View Street' all the unrealistic 'when I grow up I want to be's' that I had as a child, but I'm still playing that game, changing my mind on a daily basis, depending on what seems like the shiniest future on that particular day. The flaw in this plan is that I never do grow up. What I need to do is pick a plot and follow that storyline to see where it takes me, because by constantly editing my life, I remain stuck in the first chapter. So one last edit, before I get the hell on with it: whatever I do with my life, and whoever I am when I grow up, I am going to be a writer too.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Jaci! This is advice I need to take too. Save the editing for those dull times when nothing else is happening, but the rest of the time ... steam on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! This resonated so much with me! I know we had this conversation a bunch over the course of the festival but I feel like this little paragraph nails it. And you sound so decisive at the end too. Keep marching soldier :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep writing like this and you will make a writer 🌟

    ReplyDelete