Tuesday 4 August 2015

Monday’s child is fair of face






On Monday morning Mel messaged me that a girl wanted to see the room. I hurried home from uni after filling out paperwork to enroll in the subject 'Writers in Action,' which brings my subject count to 3 for this semester, ensuring continued payments from Centrelink.
When I arrived home there were two people waiting on the front porch patting Angie the cat. They reeked of stale cigarette smoke. I introduced myself, and Jane said "hi, I'm Jane and this is Leigh, he doesn't talk much". Leigh smiled revealing pink gum and a few black teeth. I wasn't expecting two people, but the rent divided by four is better than by three (I know this even though I'm an Outdoor Education student).
I showed them the room which will never be theirs, as well as the rest of the house. Jane was a large girl, with acne scarring on her face and spoke bogan English. Leigh was skinny as a rake, and had never brushed his teeth as far as I could tell.
As I chatted to them I found out they had been living in a caravan for the last week after his mother had fought with Jane and had kicked them out.
I looked at Leigh to see what he had to say about that.
"Sorry, I don't talk much" he said in a surprisingly sweet voice.
And then he started to talk.
"My mum's really religious and she doesn't like me having my girlfriend over because we're not married. She was the same with my last girlfriend and I had a baby with her."
When I asked what they did, I found out that they were both unemployed and receiving the dole.
"Do you like to drink?" Jane asked me hopefully, "because we like to drink" she said, trying to find something to bond over.
I told them that "Chris is still in Melbourne at the moment, and of course he will need to talk to them before we make any decisions. That we're meeting a few more people in the next few days, but I'll get back to them on Wednesday or Thursday when Chris is back.” I realised that was three days away, I'd panicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment